5.5 X 8.5 in
NATURE / General
Under the Stars is a profound and practical anthology on the principles and methods of Waldorf early-childhood education. The purpose is to help early-years educators deepen their insights into Steiner’s inspiring, holistic understanding of children. Rather than providing recipes, the book presents the author’s thought-provoking insights and principles that arise from lifelong work in kindergarten education. He ideas will free educators to transform their ways of observing children, their practice, and their self-development.
- Recognizing and nurturing the life forces of the young child.
- Thinking and the consciousness of the young child.
- The development and the education of the will, including an appendix on moral education in early childhood.
- Relationships in early childhood: attachment, separation, individualisation. Children in the modern world.
- Supporting movement development in the early years.
- Self-directed play in early childhood.
- Art experiences in early childhood education.
- Self development and child observation.
- Incarnation as a guide to self development.
Dr. Renate Long-Breipohl holds a doctorate in theology and a BEd in Early Childhood Education. Before emigrating to Australia in 1985 she lectured on early childhood in Germany. In Australia she was involved in the founding of the Samford Valley Steiner School, the first Waldorf School in Queensland, and taught there in the kindergarten for ten years. She moved to Sydney in 1997 to take up a position at Parsifal College (now Sydney Rudolf Steiner College) as director of the Waldorf Early Childhood courses. She lectures widely in Australia and internationally and has taught and mentored in Waldorf training courses in Hong Kong, China, the Philippines and Thailand. From 1991 to 2009 she was on the Council of the International Association for Steiner/Waldorf Early Childhood Education, representing Australia and helping to organize training in South East Asia.
Janni Nicol is editor and publisher of the biannual KINDLING Journal for Steiner Waldorf Early Childhood (Steiner Waldorf Schools Fellowship). She is the author of Bringing the Steiner Waldorf Approach to Your Early Years Practice (Routledge, 2007).